Solar Home System Installation Project in Pos Titom, Pahang
According to the United Nations Development Program, in 2016, 87 percent of the population have access to electricity supply. While having access to electricity doesn’t necessarily mean they have stable and consistent electricity supply. In Malaysia, 98 percent of Malaysian citizens have access to electricity, stable or not. The other 2 percent struggles with electricity supply, which affects their living conditions and daily errands.
Therefore, in the spirit of providing affordable and clean energy under Goal 7 of the SDGs, Impact Malaysia worked together with Politeknik Sultan Azlan Shah, Perak to install Home Solar Panel Systems in 60 households in Pos Titom, with help from Suncrox Malaysia.
In February 2020, we went back to Pos Titom to measure our impact, and find out whether our solution really helped the Pos Titom community.
Watch the video
Watch the video
Water Filter Project Kampung Orang Asli Sg. Buloh, Selangor
Even though clean water seems to be something some of us take for granted in modern Malaysia, some Orang Asli villages are still deprived of treated piped water supply as they are usually located in remote areas a distance away from the main utility pipelines. Their traditional supply is from rain, groundwater or rivers and waterfalls. In recent years and especially during the rainy season, the water turns extremely muddy.
This project aims to address the problem by providing each household a simple self contained water filtration unit. While KOA Sg Buloh is in an urban area, it does not receive piped water supply from the state water utility company. They have piping laid from the hillside into communal water tanks or direct to their household. This water is not treated and often murky.
27 households were provided with a home water filter system, in the hope that this project will improve the quality of water and living conditions for the villagers of Kampung Orang Asli Sungai Buloh.
UTP Clean Games Teluk Senangin, Perak
Impact Malaysia trained twenty (20) youth volunteers on project management and worked with the project lead throughout the planning and execution phases of their project, “UTP Clean Games”.
Impact Malaysia also contributed towards two (2) community service sign boards placed along the beach, as well as documentation of the program throughout in order to amplify the project.
Community Garden Project Spacerubix, Puchong
The UN SDGs have highlighted the importance of sustainable cities in SDG 11: “Sustainable Cities and Communities”. The world’s cities population is expected to increase to 59% by 2030. Growing edible gardens in the cities is one way we can do to help nurturing greener and sustainable cities.
The road to sustainable cities involves a multi-stakeholder approach to allow public and private partners to participate. In 2019, Impact Malaysia had successfully bridged a sustainable collaboration between Spacerubix and a youth group, SparcSE from the Faculty of Built Environment, UM to create an edible garden that is easy to maintain, accessible to visitors and incorporates the principle of recycling within its complex.
This pilot project proved that urbanites don’t need much land to farm. The freshly picked vegetables are not just convenient, but most importantly, chemical-free, organic and healthy. Upon completion of this project, SparcSE had successfully designed, assembled and created a vertical farm corner through urban agriculture using recycled items.